Grafton Cycle Club History
Grafton Cycle Club was established in July 1892. Its founding President was G H Varley who was supported by Vice Presidents
F T McGuren and J T McKittrick.
The safety bike was introduced into Australia in the 1880's which created somewhat of a cycling boom. Cyclists no longer had to ride the penny farthing bicycle but the more modern bicycle with a triangle shaped frame. A much more comfortable ride.
The popularity of the bicycle continued to grow and Grafton become known as a bike town. Grafton welcomed its first bike shops in the early 1920's.
Track racing commenced in the 1920's at Fischer Park and later moved to McKittrick Park.
Some notable Wheelmen of the Clarence
Athol Green - 1960 to 1972. Winner of the Goulburn to Sydney race in 1964.
Kevin Brindle - 1952 to 2011. Winner of the 1972 Grafton to Inverell Classic.
Popeye Casey - 1953 to 1968. Winner of the NSW Mile Race
Roger Green - 1950 to 1974. Winner of the NSW Country Championship
Noel Ellam - 1949 to 1960
Kevin Betteridge 1950 to 1965
Fred Forbes - 1960's
Henry 'Corky' Caldwell - 1927 to 1949
There were many more Wheelmen of the Clarence. Castnet Productions have produced a video titled, Wheelmen of the Clarence - Grafton Cycle Club History. The video is available for you to watch below.